Tarra Leatham BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies PGCE
Having studied a BA Honours in early childhood studies and being an early years teacher, I always believed I would know everything I would need to know when it came to my own children. However, I never realised how little I knew about sleep (huge oversight) and when my own daughter became a horrendous sleeper and was diagnosed with silent reflux, it had such a negative impact on my relationships with family and friends. My mental health declined and I was physically, mentally and emotionally drained – an aspect of maternity leave that I never anticipated.
I used to spend hours telling myself ‘this is just a phase’, ‘she’s only little once’ and ‘this won’t last forever’, but sadly these phrases didn’t stop me from becoming an overwhelmed, tired mess. They didn’t help me be less grumpy or snappy towards those I loved the most. No matter how many times I told myself those phrases, with the best will in the world, it never changed my sleep reality that resulted in so many aspects of my life spiralling out of control.
Shortly before my daughter turned 5, my son arrived, on the first day of the first lockdown in March 2020! Throughout my pregnancy, I told myself that my son would not follow in my daughters footsteps with regards to sleep – I was very wrong! My mental health again started to decline, and with my return to work fast approaching I knew I had to do something about my son’s lack of sleep. Returning to work as a sleep deprived teacher during COVID was not a thought I particularly relished, so I trawled the internet in the early hours and that is when I found ‘Baby Sleep the Night’. I decided to skip seeking help from a consultant when I realised I could train as a consultant myself. Once armed with the knowledge and expertise, training my son was a complete game changer. He started sleeping 12 hours a night; I transitioned him to one nap a day (achieving 2 hours of a solid nap) and bedtime struggles became a thing of the past! Finally, I was able to enjoy some quality 1:1 time with my daughter and everyone in my house became happier when we were all well rested!
Having experienced the devastating effects of sleep deprivation for the second time, I became passionate about helping others solve sleep difficulties with their little ones. I now wish I had this knowledge and expertise when my daughter was younger – it is truly life changing!
Empowering and supporting parents to solve their little ones sleep problems is something I am passionate about doing. After all, I have been there; I was you, not only once but twice! I know what it is like to have that feeling of ‘I am so done, I cannot do this anymore’. So please rest assured that it doesn’t have to be this way…… I am here to help and guide you to get the sleep you so desperately need for yourself, your little one and the rest of your family.
My bespoke gentle sleep plans empower you to put strategies into place that work. All babies and children are unique so each plan is tailor made for them; I leave no stone unturned. I offer a free 15 minute call to gather some information about your particular sleep situation and to discuss how I can help you. Consultations are via video call with daytimes, evenings and weekends available. Please see below for the sleep packages I offer.
I first booked Tarra when my daughter was 14 months old and she was amazing getting our daughter sleeping through the night and napping well. However, as our daughter started approaching 20 months her sleep started to go back downhill again. Unknowingly we had started to make small changes to her bedtime routine and coupled with going away for a holiday she ended up sleeping back on us or with us in bed. I thought I could sort it out myself but feeling like the impossible was on us, I contacted Tarra again for a refresher course. Tarra was really understanding and tried to get to the bottom of what was causing all the sleep disturbances. She set up a plan and was thorough with what we should be doing and changes to make now our daughter was a bit older. I didn't think small changes could make such a difference, but to my amazement my daughter started sleeping through the night again, and after a while the early morning wake ups improved. Her nap time has also improved and although not perfect, the fact that my daughter is content and happy throughout the day after a nice long night sleep (and us included) I am grateful for Tarra's help again.Thank you!
Mum to 14 month old girl
Initially I was sceptical about using a sleep consultant as I felt like I should have been able to sort out my daughters bad night sleep myself, especially as I had managed to sleep train her older brother previously. I tried everything, and after more bad nights than good nights, decided to try Tarra. She was very thorough from the beginning finding out all the details about our routine, and implemented a sleep guide for us. The daily contact and follow up phonecalls were really encouraging as at the beginning I thought this will not work. Tarra was very positive throughout, and within the 2 weeks with her my daughters sleep started to really improve, where she started to sleep through, or self settle if she did wake up. I no longer dread her bedtimes and the nights, and am no longer completely shattered about lots of rough nights.
Sheena, mum to Anaya 16 months
It would take over an hour to settle our child. He would need me (mum) to sit in with him to fall asleep. He would then wake in the night and need the same. He would begin tantruming as soon as Pyjamas were mentioned and the evenings became very stressful. We recently had a baby meaning I couldn’t always put him to bed which started massive meltdowns at bedtime and in the middle of the night if daddy had to do it.
Tarra explained very clearing about the Circadian rhythm and sleeping props. Tarra was so willing to answer any questions no matter how silly they sounded. Tarra was realistic in setting our expectations but also so reassuring that in time we could be successful if the plan was stuck to. Our follow up calls helps massively. Tarra answered any queries and was forward thinking in tackling some small hurdles.
It has been life changing!!! That’s all I can say! We are so grateful for Tarra’s support. It was the best decision we’ve made. Tarra’s personal experience made her so personable and that really made us feel at ease when following her advise. She really knows the theory behind why she was asking us to follow the plan. We are so grateful.
Toni - mum of 3 years 9 months son
We had no established nap routine and our child would only fall asleep when in the pram / car for naps. Only way to fall asleep was through feeding or rocking and often baby would wake soon as put down. We were at the point where we were co sleeping to get any sleep. Tarra was really easy to speak to and has always been on hand to support ever since the first meeting. She listened to issues and gave me hope! Tarra was great at not pressuring me to do anything I wasn’t comfortable with but explained why each step / part was needed and what might be the result if I didn’t follow it. She also was helpful to adapt the plan so I could carry on giving feeds/medicine when needed.
I felt so supported and Tarra went above and beyond, supporting me at any time, even on her holiday which was hugely appreciated as we were at a breaking point with sleep. Any concerns Tarra listened to, provided advice and support. She also helped to adapt and tweak the plan based on naps/ sleep logs and also if I needed to go to my weekly classes which was much appreciated. She allowed me to attend the things I needed in the two weeks training and still get great results and learn how to adapt going forward. The challenges of not napping, not sleeping in his room, not falling asleep independently or easily are now all resolved! We are now looking at dropping the one night feed I have kept in and even though we have finished the two weeks Tarra is still willing to support us which a really appreciate.
Jen, mum of 7 month old son
My son had started waking really early in the morning and was taking ages to fall asleep at bedtimes. He also started to have some random night wakes. When I first spoke to Tarra on the phone about my sons sleep, she was very confident that she could help me which was reassuring. It was very clear and very detailed. Tarra was very knowledgeable about toddler sleep. Lots of information to take in during the video call but Tarra emailed it across straight away so I could read and understand what I needed to do. During the call she clarified anything I was unsure of. Tarra explained very well what I needed to do and why. She also answered all my questions so I could clearly understand. To begin with I was not convinced that sleep training would work. My son has always been a good sleeper but I started struggling with his sleep a few months ago so asked for Tarra’s advice when I saw she was training to be a sleep consultant. I became more confident when Tarra kept reassuring me that if I stick to the plan it would work. When I saw the transformation less than a week in I was so pleased that I bit the bullet and did it. Tarra was with me every step of the way. Our calls were so helpful.
Early wakes, night wakes and bedtime struggles are a thing of the past. I was very keen to still keep a short day time nap in because I work from home but Tarra helped me adjust bed times etc so I can get a good nights sleep and an hour of work time in the day. She has offered to help me again when I am ready to give up the daytime nap. 100% I wish I did it sooner! I now have some time with my daughter every evening after my son goes to bed. I am much happier and my household is therefore much happier.
Lucy - mum of 2 years 10 month son
We didn’t have a night time routine. Colman would wake around 5am, didn’t cry but I was just feeding him as thought that was what he wanted. Colman had a dummy so would wake for the dummy which I had to keep putting in his mouth.
Naps were hit and miss. Colman would sleep in the car, pushchair or in my arms, he never slept in his cot.
Tarra made me feel comfortable and took her time to make sure I understood the plan. There was no pressure and my confidence grew as I went through the process. We now have a good routine with the morning nap which he will sleep between 1-2 hours in his cot. I was very happy with Tarra, very professional!
Dawn, mum of 19 week old Colman
One-to-One Sleep Solutions PackageThis is the most popular package, and consists of:-
- A preliminary evaluation. This is a comprehensive questionnaire about your child’s sleep habits and routines that you’ll fill out prior to our meeting. (Having this information in advance helps us make the most of our time together).
- A private, 90 minute consultation in the comfort of your own home, or via Skype/FaceTime or telephone, where we’ll discuss strategies, troubleshoot possible problems and learn how to address bedtime, naptime, nightwakings or any other specific issues you might be dealing with.
- A detailed, fully customized sleep plan, that I will prepare for you after the conclusion of our meeting.
- Four follow-up telephone calls during the first week following the consultation. These follow-up calls last about 15 minutes, and we’ll use this time to deal with any setbacks you might be having or answer any general questions.
- One week of e-mail support. After your five follow-up telephone calls have been used, you still have an additional week of e-mail support where you can email me once daily, excluding Sundays I will always aim to reply to your queries within one working day.
The total cost for the One-to-One Sleep Solutions package for a baby or toddler in a cot is £260 by video call or on the phone.
All Areas Covered via video call.
New-born – Get it right from the Start PackageThis is a comprehensive training plan helping parents of new-borns train their little ones to have fabulous sleep skills from a very young age and can be implemented from day one! Getting an early start in establishing healthy sleep habits is a huge advantage for both babies and their parents. With this package, you will learn everything you need to teach your baby to be an independent sleeper right from the beginning. It is a fantastic gift package for new parents too and consultations can take place before or after the baby has arrived. (gift certificates available and can be posted direct to the lucky couple if required) It consists of:-
- A private 60 minute telephone or in-home consultation. We will discuss how to establish a healthy sleep plan for your new-born, discussing sleep needs, schedules for feeding, naps and bedtime, how to help teach your baby the difference between day and night, creating the right sleeping environment, strategies to encourage sleep, when to expect your baby to be sleeping longer stretches, and common sleep issues that can be easily avoided.
- A detailed sleep plan. If you are expecting, the gentle, caring techniques in your sleep plan will teach you how to create an independent sleeper from day one, and will give you a flexible guide to quickly bring some routine, when baby arrives, to a time of your lives which can otherwise become quite overwhelming. If you baby has already arrived, your sleep plan will be fully customized for your family.
- One follow-up phone call. If you are following a sleep plan from the beginning then you will find your baby is naturally developing wonderful independent sleep skills, you may find you have some questions so we will schedule a telephone call within 2 weeks of the baby’s birth just in case (if you are expecting) or within 2 weeks of consultation (if you already have your baby at home). These calls typically last about 15 minutes.
- Two follow-up e-mails I will give you my personal email address so you can email me on two occasions with any questions or concerns any time within the first 3 months of your baby’s birth or our consultation. After 3 months you can purchase another week of email support at any time should you need it .
The total cost for the New-born – Get it right from the Start Package is £120
All Areas Covered via video call.
The RefresherIt is not uncommon for babies and toddlers who have been taught to be great sleepers to ‘test the boundaries’ from time to time. This option is for parents who have met with me in the past, but are looking for a ‘refresher’. This is a popular option for past clients who have recently had a new baby – or who are expecting in the near future. It consists of:-
- A private, 60 minute consultation, usually by phone or by Skype, during which we’ll use to discuss any particular challenges you are having with your child. Since we’ve already worked together, a full hour is usually more than enough time to cover all your questions and concerns.
- Optional 2x follow-up emails that you can use to send me any additional questions that might come up as you get things back on track. I’ll aim to respond to your email within one day.
The total cost for the Refresher Package 60 minute consultation for a baby or toddler in a cot is £120 by video call or on the phone.
All Areas Covered via video call.
The OvernightThis personal support package is for those who want me at your home. Available in North London, Herts, Beds, Bucks, Cambridgeshire and Essex. Please enquire with specific address. Further distances can be accommodated at an extra charge.
This consists of:
- A preliminary evaluation This is a comprehensive questionnaire about your child’s sleep habits and routines that you’ll complete prior to our meeting. (Having this information in advance helps us make the most of our time together.)
- 15 minute phone consultation to discuss details of the overnight support- time,requirements etc.
- Private In-Home/Overnight Support I will join you prior to your child’s recommended bedtime and stay overnight until 7:00 am the next morning. The consultation will take place in the comfort of your home and we will begin your journey to great sleep together.
- A detailed, fully customized sleep plan This will be prepared for you after our consultation and after the nights stay so you have your own personalized plan to help guide you through the upcoming nights.
- Four follow-up telephone calls Four phone calls, typically lasting 15 minutes, can be scheduled for the first week following the consultation. We’ll use this time to deal with any setbacks you might be having or answer any general questions.
- One week of e-mail support After your four follow-up telephone calls have been used, you still have an additional week of e-mail support if any questions arise. You will have my private e-mail address and I’ll respond to your emails within 1 business day
The total cost of the Overnight Package is £895. Available in North London, Herts, Beds, Bucks, Cambridgeshire and Essex. Please enquire with specific address. Further distances can be accommodated at an extra charge.
The All Things Sleep Chat
This is a great option if you have a child who already has self soothing skills. but you could do with some support with routines, nap schedules, timings, transitions or early wakes. It includes:
- A comprehensive questionnaire to be filled in and returned prior to our call.
- A 30 minute phone call to discuss your sleep situation and what could be the causes for the sleep difficulties you’re having. This is also an opportunity for you to ask some sleep related questions. Points for discussion can include early wakes, bedtime settling, bedtime routine, naps (length, nap drops and nap transitions) as well as night wakes.
*If you decide you would like further support with your little ones' sleep and you would like to purchase the one-to-one sleep solutions package within a month of our call, the cost of the ‘All Things Sleep Chat’ will be deducted from the sleep solutions package.
Please email email@example.com
The total cost for the All Things Sleep Chat is £40 by video call or on the phone.